Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Living a Circus?

The circus came to town this week. My kids are getting older so it hadn't occurred to me that they might still enjoy seeing a circus. But there we were, buying over-priced cotton candy and watching wide-eyed at the three rings of high-flying flambouyance. It wasn't Cirque Du Soleil, but we had a great time.

As I watched, my mind suddenly re-connected with the reason why - in our workplaces, and in our lives - we sometimes look at the craziness of some situations and say "man, what a CIRCUS!". The three-ring circus is designed to give everyone something to watch at any given time. No breaks. Multiple viewing options. Jaw dropping heroics. If you watch one ring too long, you miss what just happened in the other rings. If you try to watch all three...well you're just getting a small sample of each.

Sometimes our lives become a circus. And we FEEL it. We're tired. We're trying to keep all the "acts" going at once, making sure everyone is happy and contented. So we aren't able to focus on caring for our families or carrying out our responsibilities at work or studying for the next exam...or worshiping God. "God, I can't spend time with you today because I've got elephants falling over in ring three, Ricardo lost his grip on the trapeeze in ring one...and the circus clowns...well, they're just OUT OF control!".

Here's my encouragement for you:

For the Lord is God, and he created the heavens and earth and put everything in place. He made the world to be lived in, not to be a place of empty chaos. “I am the Lord,” he says, “and there is no other. I publicly proclaim bold promises. I do not whisper obscurities in some dark corner. I would not have told the people of Israel to seek me if I could not be found. I, the Lord, speak only what is true and declare only what is right. - Isaiah 45:18-19 NLT

“So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today." - Matthew 6:31-34 NLT

What about you? Are you living a circus? Got any thoughts or encouragement for us? Leave a comment.

Until next time...Slow it down. Seek Him today. Find comfort in His word. Ask him to "order" your life.

God bless.

No comments: